Information About Ebooks
We at Broadview Press are pleased to offer a wide selection of our titles for sale as ebooks through our website. Broadview ebooks are available in either PDF or EPUB format; PDFs offer a fixed layout similar to the printed book while EPUBs feature reflowable content suitable for reading books on e-readers, tablets, or smartphones. Please click on the link below for more details regarding the different advantages of these file types. Please note that Broadview ebooks (both PDF and EPUB format) are protected using Adobe’s Digital Rights Management (DRM) software and are limited to use on six devices associated with a single Adobe ID. This software also deactivates copy/paste functionality and limits printing to 30% of the total pages. If you have any questions about this feature, please visit the Adobe Digital Editions FAQ page.
All titles that are offered as an ebook will display this option on their respective product pages, above the “Buy Now” button. If you have any questions about Broadview ebooks, please email us at email@example.com.
Please note: We do not ordinarily accept returns on digital products, but if there was an error with your order, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 business days after the date of purchase and we will be happy to assist you. The Customer Service department is available between 9am and 5pm Eastern Standard Time.
For more information:
- Purchasing through the Broadview website
- How to download your ebook
- PDF or EPUB?
- Google Play and VitalSource Books
- Inclusive Access
Note to Instructors: Please feel free to distribute any of the above information or include it in your course syllabus if you wish to have students purchase Broadview ebooks either from our website or from the Google Play or VitalSource bookstores.
Once you have found a title that you wish to purchase, you will need to select from the list of available formats—print, PDF ebook, or EPUB ebook—and then click on the “Buy Now” button. For more information about the different formats, please see paragraph below, PDF or EPUB.
You will be provided with a summary of your order and a total price (including shipping for bound books) on the shopping cart page. You may continue shopping if you wish, or you may proceed to checkout. You will be asked to enter your payment information and then submit your order. Please note that the Broadview website accepts only credit card payment.
An invoice and order confirmation will be sent to you via email immediately upon purchase. If you have ordered a Broadview ebook, a download link will be provided at the bottom of your invoice. Do not click on this link until you have read the How to Download Your Ebook directions below.
If you experience any difficulty with your online order, please contact us at email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you.
Broadview ebooks run on the industry-standard Adobe Digital Editions platform and can be read on your computer (compatible with both PC and Mac), tablet, or smartphone (iOS or Android). Our ebooks are protected using Adobe’s Digital Rights Management (DRM) software and are limited to use on six devices associated with a single Adobe ID. If you have any questions about this feature, please visit the Adobe Digital Editions FAQ page.
Please note that Kindle devices do not currently support our ebook files as they are not compatible with Adobe Digital Editions.
Please read and follow these steps before downloading your ebook:
- To access your ebook, you will need to download a free copy of the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions. Next, authorize your copy of Adobe Digital Editions on your primary computer and create an Adobe ID before downloading the file. Failure to authorize your copy of Adobe Digital Editions before downloading the file will mean that you are unable to transfer your ebook to any other device. Once you have downloaded and authorized Adobe Digital Editions, you may then simply use the program to read your ebook on your laptop or desktop. If you are using another device, you must authorize your reading application (see below) with your Adobe ID.
- To view your EPUB purchase on a mobile device or tablet, you will need to download a free reading application. Broadview’s ebooks are optimized for use with Bluefire Reader for both iOS and Android devices, and this is the platform that we recommend. This reader supports EPUB and PDF file types and includes many user settings to customize your reading experience. Your ebooks will be stored in the Bluefire library, making your purchase easily accessible. Please note that to authorize Broadview ebooks on this app you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions software installed as well as an Adobe ID.
- Once you have authorized Bluefire Reader on your mobile device by entering your Adobe ID, open your email order confirmation using the device and download the ebook directly to the reader. Please note that our files work best in Bluefire when viewed one font size smaller than the default setting. Click here for instructions on how to use Bluefire.
Broadview offers ebooks in two formats: EPUB and PDF. In some cases, only the PDF version of an ebook is currently available.
Either format will work for most devices, but if you are using a mobile device or e-reader, an EPUB will have some advantages (reflowable text, interactive features). PDFs mirror the formatting of the print book, including retaining print page numbers. If an ebook is being purchased for course use and it’s crucial that all students be able to reference the same page or flip quickly to a specific passage, then PDF files might be your preferred choice.
- Reflowable text: easier to read on mobile devices and e-readers because it will adjust to the size of your screen
- Also compatible with desktops and laptops (Mac or PC)
- Includes more interactive features, including dictionaries, note-taking, highlighting, linked footnotes, and hyperlinks to live web sources
- PDF files retain the page numbers of the print text
- Fixed layout similar to the print book (keeps the specific print formatting—this can be useful for titles with complex formatting [facing-page editions, drama, some poetry titles])
- Text is not reflowable, so this format is best for reading on larger screens such as those found on desktops/laptops; it is, however, supported now by most e-readers, tablets, and smartphones
In order to purchase an ebook through Google Play Books, you must be signed in to a Google account. If you don’t have a Google or Gmail account, you may register for free.
Visit Google Play Books and search for the ebook title(s) of your choice. If your book doesn’t appear under a title and/or author search, try your search using the 13-digit ISBN, which can be found on the publisher’s website (www.broadviewpress.com).
The Google Play product page gives you the opportunity to preview a section of the text. All Broadview ebooks are available as high-quality PDFs (classified under Features as “scanned pages”) and many are also available as EPUBs, which are labeled as being in the “flowing text” format. If your ebook is available in both formats, you may click on the ‘Aa’ icon at the top of the preview to switch from one version to the other.
Once you have selected an ebook for purchase, click “Buy” and proceed to checkout. A credit or debit card is required.
Google ebooks are stored in the digital cloud so you can read them wherever you go using a computer, smartphone, tablet, or dedicated e-reading device. To read the ebook on a mobile device please install the Google Play app. You can easily switch from one reading device to another without losing your place. Once titles have been downloaded you may also read them offline.
Broadview titles are also available via the VitalSource Store, where you can read our books on the Bookshelf application. This will in most cases be an EPUB file (see description above), though occasionally VitalSource will provide a PDF.
Once you have selected an ebook for purchase, click “Buy” and proceed to checkout. A credit or debit card is required, and you will have to download the Bookshelf application, which offers excellent reading features.
VitalBooks are stored in the digital cloud so you can read them wherever you go, either online or using a computer, smartphone, tablet, or dedicated e-reading device (including Kindle Fire). Many students use Bookshelf already for their course texts; if you already have a Bookshelf account, it is very simple to add Broadview texts to your shelf. Simply login to your existing account and purchase the Broadview VitalBook of your choice.
Broadview Press acknowledges the financial support of the Ontario Media Development Corporation which has helped make possible our offering of ebooks.