Broadview Press is hiring a Publisher’s Representative who will promote our books to professors for use in university and college courses. The position will be based out of our Calgary, Alberta office.
- Full time (37.5 hours per week) positions starting in late August 2023, with travel to begin in September
- Involves in-person promotion of Broadview titles to schools in Canada and across several American states
- Salary $46,000 annually, plus inclusion in the company-wide profit-sharing plan
- Benefits after three months
- Travel responsibilities totaling 70-80 days per academic year, depending on territory size and conference attendance. All travel expenses are paid by the company
- Weeks not spent on travel are expected to be in-office on a hybrid basis (4 days a week in-office, 1 day a week from home) to facilitate communication and collaboration across teams
- The successful candidates will act as the Broadview Representative for a territory of universities and colleges within Canada and the United States. You will maintain existing adoptions and increase revenue across your sales territory by:
- Contacting academics at your colleges and universities through in-person visits to campuses and by email
- Promoting Broadview’s extensive catalogue, with a focus on new and recently published titles, by identifying potential adopters of our titles and matching relevant texts to upcoming courses
- Developing and maintaining relationships with academics and bookstores, to uphold Broadview’s reputation for excellent customer service
- Assist colleagues as needed through:
- Additional sales efforts
- Market research
- Passing on acquisitions leads from your sales territory
- Attending conferences and select school book fairs as needed
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has a Bachelor’s Degree (required) or Master’s Degree (asset) in English or Philosophy
- Has a valid driver’s license and passport (required)
- Has a good understanding of the culture and operations of the post-secondary environment
- Is interested in learning about new teaching strategies, new developments within our disciplines, and the directions textbooks and new technologies are taking
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills
- Is able to pick up new information quickly
- Is comfortable with significant amounts of travel throughout the year, primarily during the fall and winter academic terms
- Is enthusiastic about sales work, is self-motivated, and thrives on new challenges
- Can envision working in a sales capacity in publishing long-term
- Has experience working both independently and collaboratively
- Has previous experience in sales or marketing (asset)
- Has previous experience in publishing (asset)
The word “broadview” expresses a good deal of the philosophy behind our company. Our focus is very much on the humanities—especially literature, philosophy, and history—but within these fields we are open to a broad range of academic approaches and political viewpoints. We strive in particular to produce high-quality, pedagogically useful books for higher education classrooms—anthologies, editions, sourcebooks, surveys of particular academic fields and sub-fields, and also course texts for subjects such as composition, business communication, and critical thinking. The company has over 800 titles in print, and currently publishes approximately 30-40 new titles per year. Broadview Press was incorporated in 1985; the company now employs over 30 people, 5 of whom are based out of the Calgary office.
Broadview Press is committed to an inclusive workplace. People who identify as being from communities underrepresented in publishing and academia, especially including Indigenous or racialized people, are encouraged to apply.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter in a single PDF to Christine Handley, Sales Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted through June 16, 2023. No phone calls or in-person visits, please.
We frequently hire a few individuals on 8 month contracts beginning in September out of our Guelph office. These positions are either email-based publisher representatives or digital assistants. Please contact Brooke Southgate [Email] if you would like to be notified of these postings.