Broadview’s Commitment to Ethical Conduct
We at Broadview feel that good business is about more than just the bottom line. We believe that ethical conduct is not only compatible with sound business practices but also an essential obligation for companies such as ours. Our commitment to ethical conduct carries through to all aspects of our operations, from the selection of books that we publish to the choice of paper on which we print those books.
Though there is no doubt much more that we can and should do in the future, we believe that it’s worth taking stock of some of our specific actions, both as a matter of transparency and as a means of further promoting some of the causes we support. Among the actions we’ve taken in 2018:
- A monetary donation to Indspire, “a national Indigenous-led registered charity that invests in the education of Indigenous people for the long term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada.” As Broadview is a participant and stakeholder in the post-secondary educational system, we believe it is important to support the availability of educational opportunities for all, including Indigenous students. If you too are a member of the post-secondary community, please consider making a donation.
- A monetary donation to the International Rescue Committee, a humanitarian aid organization that “helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and regain control of the future.” They respond to needs all over the world, from aiding victims of the the current famine in Yemen to assisting refugees immigrating to the United States. The IRC has a 91.16 rating on Charity Navigator, including a 100% ranking for “Transparency & Accountability.” Donations can be made on their website here.
- A monetary donation to GiveDirectly, an organization that provides money directly and unconditionally to people living in extreme poverty. A growing body of evidence suggests that unconditional cash transfers are a highly effective and efficient means of charitable giving. To learn more about their approach and to consider making a donation, visit their website here.
- We have pursued the rigorous “Gold Standard” in offsetting the carbon emissions of all Broadview business flights taken in 2018. The ca website offers a convenient offset calculator for anyone interested in offsetting their own personal and/or business travel.
- For a number of years, we’ve printed the majority of our titles on 100% post-consumer recycled paper, and this continues to be our practice. For detailed information on our printing policies, see this earlier blog post.
- Internally, we’ve revisited and refined a range of policies to combat harassment and discrimination and to encourage environmentally conscientious day-to-day operations.
We realize there is still much more we can do to improve our practices and further contribute to the academic community and to the world as a whole. But we’re also proud of what we accomplished in 2018, and we encourage others – including publishers, individuals, and other businesses – to support these shared causes. If you have comments or other suggestions as to what Broadview can do to further our ethical commitments, we appreciate your feedback; feel welcome to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.