You may also be interested in the following books:
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- Anne of Green Gables
- At the Back of the North Wind
- Folk and Fairy Tales - Fourth Edition
- Marvelous Transformations
An Anthology of Fairy Tales and Contemporary Critical Perspectives
- Peter Pan
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- The Governess; or, The Little Female Academy
- Treasure Island
This concise version of Folk and Fairy Tales is designed to provide a more compact and versatile collection for teaching children's literature. Like the complete edition, it includes comparative versions of classic tales (Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and a selection of coming-of-age tales) from different cultures and time periods, substantial introductory material, color illustrations, and a selection of critical articles.
Praise for the fourth edition:
"This collection simultaneously gives readers a thorough introduction to the folk and fairy tale canon and challenges us to re-think that canon by including non-Western variants and postmodern retellings of classic tales, illustrations, and critical essays that enrich and diversify our sense of the field." - Dara Regaignon, Pomona College
"An engaging, accessible anthology of well-loved as well as overlooked tales, the latest edition of Folk and Fairy Tales would be my first choice among the many fairy-tale anthologies available for students." - Kristiana Willsey, Marvels & Tales
"Folk and Fairy Tales is now in its fourth edition, and it remains one of the best introductory anthologies on the market. Though it is obviously designed as an introductory reader, the book manages to incorporate a solid amount of material for scholars." - Daniel Compora, Journal of Folklore Research
Martin Hallett has retired from teaching and lives in Grand Pr, Nova Scotia. Barbara Karasek teaches at Vanier College in Montreal. Together they have published articles and presented seminars on fairy tales and have been co-organizers of the Montreal Children's Literature Conference.
Supplementary Materials: [Back to Top]
Academics please note: An instructor's website
featuring questions for discussion is available for this text. The
access code to this website is included with all examination copies.
This text also has a companion website for students where additional readings can be found. The access code to this website is included with all new copies.
Note: If you purchased a used copy or you are missing your passcode for this site, please click here to purchase a code online for $5.00.
Table of Contents: [Back to Top]
Little Red Riding Hood
- Paul Delarue, "The Story of Grandmother"
- Charles Perrault, "Little Red Riding Hood"
- Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, "Little Red Cap"
- Isabelle C. Chang, "The Chinese Red Riding Hoods"
- Patricia McKissack, "Flossie and the Fox"
- David McPhail, "Little Red Riding Hood"
- Francesca Lia Block, "Wolf"
- Giambattista Basile, "Sun, Moon and Talia"
- Charles Perrault, "Sleeping Beauty in the Wood"
- Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, "Brier Rose"
- Italo Calvino, "The Neapolitan Soldier"
- Arabian Nights, "The Ninth Captainís Tale"
- Charles Perrault, "Cinderella: Or the Little Glass Slipper"
- Aleksandr Afanas'ev, "Vasilisa the Beautiful"
- Joseph Jacobs, "Cap o' Rushes"
- Robert Sans Souci, "Little Gold Star"
- Inea Bushnaq, "The Little Red Fish and the Clog of Gold"
- Cyrus Macmillan, "The Indian Cinderella"
- Charles Perrault, "Hop o' my Thumb"
- Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, "Hansel and Gretel"
- Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, "Snow White"
- Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, "Rapunzel"
- Joseph Jacobs, "Jack and the Beanstalk"
- Hans Christian Andersen, "The Ugly Duckling"
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Hansel and Gretel
- Betsy Hearne, "Disney Revisited, Or, Jiminy Cricket, It's Musty Down Here!"
- James Poniewozik, "The End of Fairy Tales? How Shrek and Friends Have Changed Children's Stories"
Academics teaching relevant courses may request examination copies of titles to consider for text adoption. We ask that you limit your examination copy requests to three or fewer at a time; if you are not confident that you will adopt the book, please help us keep costs down by ordering it instead. If in the future you do decide to assign as a course text a book you have previously ordered personally, Broadview Press will be happy to refund your money.
Folk and Fairy Tales - Concise Edition
2011 • 168pp • Paperback • 9781554810185 / 1554810183